The IML Walking Association (previously called the International Marching League) is a non-political, non-profit organisation whose aim is:
- to promote walking as a worthwhile and healthy recreation; and
- to foster international understanding and goodwill by encouraging participation at walking events in other countries through a program of incentive awards.
This is accomplished by promoting international multi-day non-competitive walking events in each of the member countries. Events can vary from 2, 3 or 4 days in duration.
The IML was founded in 1987 by the representatives of the eight “founder countries”: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. Other countries have since joined the organisation, and two sub-groups have since been created, namely the European Region and the Pan Pacific Region.
“Nos Iungat Ambulare” is the official motto of the IML which, when translated into English, means “May walking bring us together”.
Come join us at the Canberra Walking Festival to find out more about IML events around the world, and experience the atmosphere of goodwill and friendship amongst the international and local participants. You can then use the IML worldwide program of events to:
- see different countries;
- experience different cultures;
- make new friends; and
- renew friendship with walkers you have previously met.
IML events are open to all and are non-competitive, with awards available to all who complete at least 20km each day of the multi-day event (or 10km each day for the over 70s), in accordance with the local rules of each event.
On participating in your first IML walk, you may purchase an IML Walking Passport. Your name and date of birth must be filled in and a photograph inserted. On completion of any multi day IML walk (min. of 20km/day or 10km/day for the over 70s), a special stamp of that walk is put into the passport, and a Bronze IML Medal and Country Bar may be purchased. Three stamps (from three different countries), on a single page constitute a “series”, and an entitlement to additional awards.
In addition to the basic medal system, there are a variety of additional awards available to walkers who complete events internationally, including:
- Pan Pacific Walker – events in 8 different Pan Pacific countries
- European Walker – events in 8 different European countries
- International Master Walker – events in the 8 founder countries
- Global Walker – events in 10 different European countries and 8 Pan Pacific countries
The award system is further explained on the IML website.
Calendar of IML Events
The Canberra Walking Festival is the only IML event held in Australia each year. A schedule of all the IML walks in other countries and their dates is available on the IML website, although we suggest you use that site to link directly to websites for the events you are interested in completing.